Monday, October 1, 2007

Things Kali has Learned from Little House on The Prairie

Kali loves to watch Little House on The Prairie - She and Elissa have Season One on DVD. So the other night, she discovered it on TV Land, so started watching it. It was an episode about a boy who's father was an alcoholic who beat his son. I sat down with Kali while she was watching, to see if she was okay (she is so sensitive) and to see if she had any questions about the show. She asked if this was real, because she knows that the books are true stories. So I explained to her that it was just a TV show, but that there were people in the world who did bad things. I tried to put it in a way she could understand - that this man drank too much alcohol, and it made him do bad things. And I also told her that her mom and dad love her very much, and we would never ever do anything that would hurt her. And yes, we do drink beer and wine, but we never drink too much, like the father on TV. So she sits there and thinks for a minute, then says, in her sweet Glinda the Good Witch voice, "I'm glad that you and Daddy don't drink too much alcohol and beat me!" I just reassured her, without her seeing me trying to control my laughter, that we would never do such a thing!

(now as long as she doesn't write about that in her journal at school......!)
 
posted by Kathie Smith at 10:42 AM | Permalink |


3 Comments:


  • At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Awww, I'm glad that she understands. I hope she doesn't write about it in her journal at school.

     
  • At 11:50 AM, Blogger Cyndi Bohan

    Awwwwww, you explained it to her well! :o) Riley once wrote in his journal at school about how he stayed up all night drinking coffee and playing video games. LOL I was in the hospital with Jack and Mike let them stay up. They snuck the coffee though! Kids!

     
  • At 12:28 PM, Blogger Daelyn Fortney

    When Julia was in school, I always wondered what topics would come up in her journal. LOL

    Glad Kali handled the storyline well. :-) Im sure she appreciated you explaining things.

     

Post a Comment

~ back home